Rocky Knob is one of the Parkway?s original developed areas. A small visitor center with publication sales offers orientation to the Parkway and to adjacent Rock Castle Gorge. An extensive trail system in the gorge offers visitors access to one of the richest sections of the Parkway. Rock Castle Gorge, especially its moisture rich north facing slopes, provides home to a number of rare plants. The gorge also offers opportunities for resource monitoring and comparative study since the National Park Service owns and administers the entire watershed from summit to valley. A developed picnic area is available at this site as well.
Visitor Center phone: 540-749-9662
Visitor Center Hours 2014:
- Open Saturday and Sunday only May 24 - October 26, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Visitor Center
- picnic areas (May 9 - November 2)
- visitor center is wheelchair accessible
- campground is wheelchair accessible
- restrooms are accessible with assistance
- interpretive programs are accessible with assistance
- picnic area is accessible with assistance