The Folk Art Center opened in 1980 and was developed to preserve and interpret the many expressions of folk art associated with the southern Appalachians, including music, dance and storytelling as well as crafts. It houses the Allen Stand Craft Shop, library, exhibit gallery for rotating displays, a large auditorium, and a cooperating association book store and Parkway information desk. Guild artisans demonstrate a variety of arts and crafts in the Folk Art Center lobby.
Visitor Center Phone: 828-298-0495
Visitor Center Hours 2014:
- Open year round (closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day)
- April - Dec., 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Jan. - March, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- visitor center is wheelchair accessible
- restrooms are wheelchair accessible
- exhibits are wheelchair accessible
- interpretive programs are wheelchair accessible
- information is wheelchair accessible