At the visitor center, exhibits relate the stories of canal building and transportation.
James River is the Parkway?s the lowest elevation (650 feet above sea level) and a historic transportation route through the mountains. At the visitor center, the James River Canal Trail will take you to the restored James River and Kanawha Canal Lock that was built between 1845-51. When completed the canal had 90 locks and went from Richmond to Buchanan, Virginia.
Visitor Center phone: 540-299-5496
Visitor Center Hours 2014:
Open Wed. - Sun., 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., May 16 - November 2.
- picnic area (open May 9 - November 2)
- visitor center is accessible with assistance
- information is accessible with assistance
- restrooms are accessible with assistance
- exhibits are wheelchair accessible
- picnic area is NOT handicap accessible